Connecting God’s Resources with Human Need
5 Pleasant View Drive Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
Director of Development
Mission Central is the mission warehouse of the Susquehanna Conference of the United Methodist Church. Along with our satellite operations called “HUBS”, we respond to natural and man-made disasters with relief supplies and supply humanitarian goods and logistical services to hundreds of different ministries and social service agencies. Since our beginning in June 2002, Mission Central has hosted tens of thousands of volunteers who come in service to “connect God’s resources with human need.” With our volunteers, we process disaster response materials, “relief kits” for use around the world, provide all types of needed supplies for local and national ministries, and assist many projects that are sending God’s love, locally, nationally, and around the world.
- Director of Development
Reports to the Executive Director of Mission Central. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors, and a senior peer group within the organization on a variety of strategic fund development initiatives and donor relationship management.
- Supervise administration of the database tracking donor giving, generating gift acknowledgement and payment reminder letters, and implementation of the donor development contact schedule.
- Manage and execute Mission Central’s development plan in collaboration with the Executive Director and Mission Central’s Development and Finance Advisory Committee. This will include Mission Central’s operating (unrestricted) funding, endowment funding, and any special capital campaigns.
- Supervise, plan, implement and evaluate all annual fundraising events.
- Develop Mission Central’s annual report in collaboration with the Executive Director and Mission Central’s Advisory Committees.
- Hold membership in Association of Fundraising Professionals and actively engage in ongoing education and peer networking.
- Content writing, development, and editing.
- Grant writing.
- Develop and refine Mission Central’s case for support.
- Committee responsibilities.
- Volunteer management and recruitment responsibilities related to implementing the Development Plan.
Mission Central is seeking a talented and energetic Director of Development. The ideal candidate will have strong communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as fundraising, appeals, special events, grant writing, database management, and donor communications. The ability to develop operating funding, capital improvement revenue, and endowment funds are critical skills required for this position.
- Commitment to social justice and mission
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done in a busy work environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and donor database management
- Ability to look at situation from several points of view to ensure Mission Central’s goals are achieved
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to undertake communications initiatives at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Experience with GiftWorksTM donor database is preferred but not required